Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 07:39:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: stdio problem

As David Greenman wrote:

>  As Joerg
> pointed out, mixing streams oriented file operations (which are managed by
> libc) with underlying file primitives is a no-no and will result in strange
> and/or undefined behavior. I do agree, however, that freopen() should work
> even if the file was close()'d. It does seem as though there is an issue with
> flushing the stream buffers after the file has been closed, however.

I also agree with this now, i didn't get it in the first place that
the problem arose by mixing low-level IO and stdio across an exec().
I think stdio should not make any particular assumptions about the
initial state of the file descriptors 0, 1, and 2 at the time of
program startup.  (Though this is perhaps hard to do correctly for all
weird cases.)

--
cheers, J"org