Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:15:50 -0500
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <jcribbins@kibserv.org>
To:        "Søren Neigaard" <neigaard@e-box.dk>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are my questions stupid, to hard or am I just unlucky

It is probably not you.  Your question seems to be formulated correctly and
doesn't lack any critical info.  Although some may find your reference to
Linux as offensive but I never understood those guys anyhow.  Normally you
should include system information such as version of BSD you are running but
for this question I don't see how that would be relevant.

To me it seems more of a timing issue but I have to yet to figure it out.
Sometimes I send in a question and I get dozen responses within an hour and
other times I get zero for the same question.

It comes down to who is reading the list when you send your message.  Most
people are like me and delete the hundreds of messages when I check my email
after a long time away.  So the only responses I get that are worthwhile are
from those who are actively reading email as its being sent.

Just keep asking on different days and times....but don't do so in a way
that would seem like you are flooding the group otherwise you will get very
unwelcome responses.

Good luck with your answer.  Sorry I am not an expert on such things.  But I
am interested in the answer if it every arrives.  This is something I am
considering.  Right now I have a simple windows program on two machines that
checks all my servers (and each other) but I would rather not use Windows
anything that requires constant reliability.

What I would like to see is a download.com or tucows.com for FreeBSD
software.  A site with all programs categorized by purpose with download and
popularity counts as well as user comments.  This would be nice so that one
can look through all software for a particular task and see what others
thing about it before they give it a try.

-Jason