Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 13:42:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      logue <logue@logues.rhn.orst.edu>
To:        Chris Young <chris@c-unix.mountain.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way to know if someone fingers you

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Chris Young wrote:

> >edit /etc/inetd.conf, and put a "-l" (dash ell) as an argument to fingerd.
> >
> >man fingerd
> >
> >-STEVEl
> >
> Thanks,
>
> I added the -l option, and restarted the system. I also read the man pages,
> which told me that this would log the finger request to the syslog.
>
> How would I get this to log to a different file? would I need to change the
> source code for fingerd and recompile?
>
> Chris

Find out through what logging level fingerd is writing to syslog, and edit
/etc/syslog.conf to reroute those messages to some other file like
/var/log/secure.  Figuring out what level it uses, and changing where it
goes are something that I have yet to learn as well.  In fact, I would
like to know every possible way something can write to syslog so that I
can solve this problem once and for all.  For example, I want to route
tcpd (tcp_wrapper) messages to /var/log/secure...

I saw mention of NTP messages having their own level in syslog, now in 3.0
but I never noticed any evidence of such.  Perhaps the person who made
these changes, and commented about them in RELNOTES.TXT could comment on
this, and learn us both???????

-STEVEl