Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:15:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ted Unangst <tedu@coverity.com>
Subject:   Re: use after free bugs

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Thursday 19 February 2004 08:43 pm, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > Hi.  These are some bugs found by Coverity in a static analysis run on the
> > FreeBSD kernel.  All these are use after free bugs.
>
> Thanks for the excellent bug reports!

I wonder if the same approach relating to memory allocation and free
checking via static analysis could be applied to locking and unlocking of
locks?  I.e.:

- We don't release locks more than once.

- We don't forget to unlock.

- We hold a lock before accessing certain fields (defined by annotation)
  of a structure.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research