Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:55:30 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /tmp , /var/tmp much too small (was Re: File system full).

In message <000e01bf46ca$16632e40$0607b084@fernunihagen.de>, "Fritz Heinrichmeyer" cleopede:
>I vote for very large default spool areas (they not only send them
>powerpoint presentations, they also want to print them). The automatic
>calculation of partitions under freebsd leads to unuseable mail and print
>spool systems in practice.

Hear, hear.  And while we're at it, has anyone else added a bunch
of memory to their system and then realized that their (default)
swap partition was way too small?  I vote for the auto-sized swap
to be a function both of amount of memory and *size of disk*, so
that if you have a "big" disk, then you get extra of swap even if
you only have, say, 16MB of memory while installing.  For example,
what if the default size of a swap partition was

	(memsize * 2) * max(1, disksize / 1G)

(rounded up appropriately), where the scale factor is 1 for disks
1GB or less in size, but magnified linearly above that size?

Greg Shenaut