Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cyclades Cyclom-Y PCI multiport serial as console server?

    Before I start more troubleshooting, has anyone used the Cyclom-Y
16-port PCI serial controllers as null modem ports?  We have several
dozen pieces of equipment here that all have serial console ports
(Sparcs, Ciscos, Netapps, etc.)  Rather than running around with a
long cable attached to a VT-420, I wanted to build a FreeBSD box with
64 serial ports and just use cu to get console access.

    I note that the cy(4) man page from a May 1997 3.0 snapshot states:

> BUGS
>      BREAK is not yet implemented.
>
>      Serial consoles are not implemented.

    Is there a newer version that does allow me to send breaks to the
remote side (very important if you're dealing with Sparcs)?  What
exactly does "serial consoles" mean in this context?  If it works with
a modem, I don't see why I can't slap a null modem changer on the
cable, and use it as a serial console.

    I've already modifed /etc/rc.serial to set the ttyc* and cuac*
devices to "terminal" rather than the default of "modem".  Anything
else I need to do?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)