Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:57:44 -0500
From:      Suttipan Limanond <limanond@enws626.eas.asu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   octave-2.0.13 compile error on 3.2

Hi:

I was compiling octave-2.0.13 on my FBsd3.2
when I got the following error in `readline'
directory:

"
complete.c: In function `filename_completion_function':
complete.c:1335: syntax error before `*'
complete.c:1349: `directory' undeclared (first use this function)
complete.c:1349: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
complete.c:1349: for each function it appears in.)
complete.c:1352: `DIR' undeclared (first use this function)
complete.c:1352: parse error before `)'
complete.c:1409: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
complete.c:1415: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1416: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1417: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1417: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1424: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1425: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1426: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
complete.c:1436: parse error before `)'
"

Now, I noticed during configure that
`dirent.h', `/sys/ndir.h', etc. were searched for
the definition of `DIR'. The
`dirent.h' in `/usr/include' does define `DIR', but
for some reason the configure script can't see that.

So, I added `#include <dirent.h>' in the `complete.c'.
The error about `directory' and `DIR' seems to be solved,
but the `dereferencing pointer' errors are still there.

I would appreciate any comment or suggestions.
The package can't load the DLL functions and
I use DLL functions most of the time, so
I can't really use it.

Thank you very much,

Suttipan Limanond.