Date:      10 Jan 2000 12:34:52 +0100
From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@ze.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        stenn@whimsy.udel.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio input from ESS 688 card under 3-STABLE?

stenn@whimsy.udel.edu writes:

> Thanks - I'll try that.
>
> Should I also put in the other sb16 lines (sb0, sbxvi0, and opl0)?

sbxvi0  - definitely. Otherwise you have no mixer device.
sbmidi0 - required by sbxvi0, even if ESS cards don't support midi

I own a old ESS card (Idema Maestro) and had a hard time in finding this
out. All documetation told me (incorrectly!) that sbxvi0 is required for
sb16 cards only - so I got no mixer.

And the pcm driver only supported 8bit. (mpg123 --8bit worked, while 16
bit output produced weird results)

-Walter