Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2012 02:10:21 +0200
From:      Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: battery state - hw.acpi.battery.life goes only down

2012/9/26 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>w=
rote:

>> this wrong number seems persistent during a reboot.
>> i tested this, shortly.
>> the battery life after reboot was 97% with power supply plugged in all t=
he
>> times.
>>
>> after a clean boot the system camed up with a battery.life of 97% ( powe=
>> supply plugged in :O ).
>>

> Sounds like normal lithium ion charger behavior to me; typically they
> won't kick in the charger until it reaches somewhere between 90-95%
> (depends on the device).  This extends the useful life of the battery; ra=
> lithium ion is just as (actually, more) prone to destruction via
> overcharging as other battery technologies.
>
> http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries=
discusses this.  Note in particular:  "A continuous trickle charge would
> cause plating of metallic lithium, and this could compromise safety."
>
> --
> brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b@gmail.co=
> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364 vm/sm=
>
> hmm, may be.
i didn't thinked about that lithium charging feature.
you may right with that.
but one point, this behaviour is new.
i made some tests to check if my conkyrc is right and there i haven't wait
that the battery is gone under 90%
for checking this. after i could confirm that the conkyrc is syntactically
correct, the battery reached 100% again.
that was before i updated the system last week.

i will check that out. under the load of a make world it should only take
minutes to get the battery.life under 80%.

many thanks for your hint.

--=20
=3D =3D =3D  http://michael-schuh.net/  =3D =3D =3D
Projektmanagement - IT-Consulting - Professional Services IT
Michael Schuh
Postfach 10 21 52
66021 Saarbr=FCcken
phone: 0681/8319664
mobil:  0175/5616453
@: m i c h a e l . s c h u h @ g m a i l . c o m

=3D =3D =3D  Ust-ID:  DE251072318  =3D =3D =3D