Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:42:42 +0200
From:      Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting PowerShell to FreeBSD, first working poc

--igmwgzvv7votroxx

Hi all,

for background, there was a previous attempt to bring PowerShell to
FreeBSD, but it seems it got stuck somewhere:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2018Projects/PortingPowerShellPorting

Now that we have dotnet 8 in ports, I started a new attempt. Currently,
it still needs patches to lang/dotnet, see these reviews:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D44560
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D44561

They will most likely change, arrowd wants to look for better ways to
fix the underlying issues, but one or the other way, it will be possible
to build and package PowerShell.

Here's my current patch (which will probably be updated in place):
https://people.freebsd.org/~zirias/patches/0001-shells-powershell-Add-new-p=
ort.patch

Or, if you prefer to "browse" the port, you can do so here:
https://github.com/Zirias/zfbsd-ports/tree/local/shells/powershell

Especially the inlcuded "nuget.mk" for fetching required nuget packages
most certainly needs a lot of work. I'm aware mono.mk already has
fetching nuget packages implemented, but I don't need mono and how it's
doing it isn't a perfect fit either. In the long run, we'll probably
need a separate USES=3Dnuget (which can then be included by both mono and
dotnet).

Anyways, the shell seems to work, from the few very basic tests I did so
far. So, please test if you're interested :)

In case anyone would like to have a review on Phabricator at this stage,
I could upload it there as well, just let me know.

Cheers, Felix

--=20
 Felix Palmen <zirias@FreeBSD.org>     {private}   felix@palmen-it.de
 -- ports committer --                     {web}  http://palmen-it.de
 {pgp public key}  http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt
 {pgp fingerprint} 6936 13D5 5BBF 4837 B212  3ACC 54AD E006 9879 F231

--igmwgzvv7votroxx

--igmwgzvv7votroxx--