Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:47:58 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libraries

As J"org Wunsh wrote:
> As Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > 	my used space on /usr just went way down after the install.
> > One place that this happened was in /usr/lib where I now have a
> > bunch of things like libutil.so.2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 (as well as 1.0).
> > If I understand the ldd we have, I can kill the 2.0 and 2.1 and life
> > will be good, no?
>
> Yep, you can.

I have limited disk space, and more limited $$$, so to force my system
to be "lean and clean", about every 2-3 months I do the following:

1) Make world, Make and install new kernel, rebuild all ports that I use.
2) Nuke all older versions of all shared libraries.
3) Go on a seek-and-destroy mission, looking for old crap on the disk
   nuke.

I have a "nuke on sight" policy for shared libraries that go out of date
(minor version). If they go out of date (major version change) then I move
them to .../lib/compat. This dir gets blasted at the next step 1).

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE