Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 00:51:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joao Pedras <jpedras@mail.telepac.pt>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, "System Admin." <pe@student.lssu.edu>
Subject:   Re: DEC 3000

Hello there!

I installed NetBSD-1.4 on a DEC3000 a couple weeks ago.

Download the cdhdtape file, from your favorite NetBSD mirror, and dd' it to a
tape using the DAT that you problably have on your system. This image can be
burned into a cdrom, if no tape is available.

Boot from the tape (or cdrom) and do a network install. I used ftp and it
worked fine.

Aahh. You must have some kind of serial terminal plugged in to the DEC3000
during the installation. The generic kernel doesn't have the NEW_SCC_DRIVER
option enabled. The system WON'T BOOT if you have the keyboard/mouse plugged
in. Disconnect them and plug a serial terminal.

After the installation just compile a kernel with the NEW_SCC_DRIVER option in
it and you'll be able to unplug the serial terminal and use the console.

Regards,

Joao

On 26-May-99 Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 1999 14:54:06 -0400 (EDT)
>  "System Admin." <pe@student.lssu.edu> wrote:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  >    I have DEC3000 model 300 workstation, no floppy drive and I want
>  > to install FreeBSD/Alpha how can I do it? I read in the INSTALL.TXT under
>  > 3.2-STABLE dir. and it said net boot only. how can I accomplish that?
>
> I've seen a few messages indicating here that FreeBSD/alpha isn't up
> to par on the DEC 3000 ... you might consider installing NetBSD/alpha
> instead, which runs quite well on the DEC 3000.
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Sent on 27-May-99 at 00:43:59