Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:27:02 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-net@brettglass.com
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Wireguard, MTUs, and jumbo packets

Hi all,

> Am 04.04.2022 um 05:37 schrieb freebsd-net@brettglass.com:
> Would like to use the new Wireguard implementation, but need to know =
what it does to MTUs. I'd like a full 1500 byte MTU through the VPN =
tunnel, but this means that the packets that are sent between the client =
and server have to be BIGGER than 1500 bytes.
>=20
> It takes a special feature to allow PPPoE to negotiate a larger MTU =
(see RFC 4638), and other PPP-based protocols such as L2TP wont do it at =
all. But what happens in Wireguard? I can find no documentation on this =
topic, so assistance would be appreciated.

as far as I know WireGuard does not care about interface or PMTU
nor perform PMTUd. You can set the WG interface MTU in the =
configuration, e.g.

	[Interface]
	PrivateKey =3D **************
	Address =3D [...]
	DNS =3D [...]
	MTU =3D 1280

Wether your path will be capable of transporting packets with a tunnel =
MTU
of 1500 is left for you to take care of - outside of WG.

WireGuard overhead is 60 bytes for IPv4 transport and 80 bytes for IPv6.

HTH,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen
.infrastructure

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian =
Stein