Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:26:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2REL, 34Gb IDE + AMD K7

Hi, having problems with a large IDE drive on a K7 ...

Setup : 3.2 release + 34.2Gb IDE drive (IBM-DPTA-373420) UDMA 66.
[CPU : AMD K7 (500MHz)]

[1) BIOS really doesn't like this drive, i.e. it doesn't auto detect properly
as it (my guess) tries to tell the bios it has >65535 cyls. I can get round
that by forcing a geometry of 4160/255/63 from BIOS.. I lose some space, but
not much - is there a better way - e.g. using LBA with FreeBSD ? ]

However, the GENERIC kernel boots fine, and I've compiled about 20 kernels now
(doesn't take long) but every time I reboot the machine just hangs on "changing
root device to wd0s1a".

The disk is partitioned like so :

Partition/Slice 1: 128Mb   : FreeBSD      (/ only 120->130Mb (can't remember))
Partition/Slice 2: 24000Mb : FAT32	  (unused)
Partition/Slice 3: about 8000Mb : FreeBSD
	(/usr 2Gb, /var 128M, swap 256M, /home 5+Gb)

Problem is I just can't see anything different between GENERIC and any custom
kernel I build other than the custom ones just don't work!

Any help appreciated,

	Steve.

[Other info that may help?]
Motherboard : FIC SD11
RAM :Single 64Mb 100MHz Dimm
Standard (1.44Mb) Floppy drive
40x plain vanilla unbranded cdrom (primary device on 2ary IDE controller)
3.5Gb UDMA33 IDE drive (Slave device on 2ary IDE controller)

Can't think of anything else... GENERIC says it's a 686 class CPU, don't know
how many other folks have k7's, there not that easy to get here in the UK it
would seem... well I had to do some ringing about anyway...
But I don't think it's the CPU anyway, but might be a combo of the drive and
controller.