Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:27:01 -0800
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to install only some parts of libreoffice?

On Wed 02 Mar 2011 at 15:06:52 PST Charlie Kester wrote:
>I don't want or need all of the programs in the libreoffice suite.
>
>In fact, the only reason I might install it is to get the presentation
>program so I can work with PowerPoint files I occasionally download from
>the web.  (There don't seem to be any workable, lighterweight
>alternatives, as there are for .doc and .xls files.)
>
>Would it be possible to provide some options to select which components
>to install?  Or is the suite written in such a way that I have to
>install the whole thing in order to get one piece?

As often happens, asking the question got me thinking and I went to
FreshPorts to see if I could find some alternatives to Impress that I
didn't know about.  Found devel/present, which looks promising.  Poking
around in the workdir, I see there's a gtk-based ppt viewer included.

But I'd still like to know if it's possible to install only a few
selected components from libreoffice, for the cases where I might need
to do more than view an MSOffice file.