Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:16:52 -0500
From:      Dan Cardamore <dan@hld.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   5.0 Jail does not work (out of date documentation?)

Hi,

I'm new to FreeBSD as I'm switching over from Linux.  I want to get jail
going but I've had no luck.

Following the man page for jail, I did this:
D=/usr/jails/hld
cd /usr/src
mkdir -p $D
make world DESTDIR=$D
cd etc
make distribution DESTDIR=$D

Variating from the MAKEDEV command I ran:
mount -t devfs / $D/dev
cd $D
ln -sf dev/null kernel

When I do a `sockstat -4l` I can see that nothing from my host server is
bound to any jail server IP's.

When I run:
jail $D hld.ca 66.11.174.121 /bin/sh /etc/rc

It gives the following output:
hw.bus.devctl_disable: 1 -> 1
Entropy harvesting:sysctl: kern.random.sys.harvest.interrupt: Operation
not permitted
 interruptssysctl: kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet: Operation not permitted
 ethernetsysctl: kern.random.sys.harvest.point_to_point: Operation not permitted
  point_to_point.
Fast boot: skipping disk checks.
mount: /: unknown special file or file system
adjkerntz[7724]: sysctl(put_wallclock): Operation not permitted
Doing initial network setup:.
Additional routing options:.
Mounting NFS file systems:.
ln: /dev/log: Operation not permitted
Starting syslogd.
syslogd: child pid 7816 exited with return code 1
ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat
a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
Starting local daemons:.
Updating motd.
Configuring syscons: blanktime.
^CInitial i386 initialization:.
Additional ABI support:.
Local package initialization:.
Additional TCP options:.
Starting devfsln: vga: Operation not permitted
Starting cron.
Starting background file system checks.

You can see the ^C at the beginning of "Intial i386 initialization".
After "blanktime" it stalls and I've waited up to 5 minutes before
hitting CTRL-C to make it continue.  It just bails though.

The /var/log/messages has no information of use (just syslogd starting
message)  I've also tried tracing this /etc/rc script by puting 'echo'
commands here and there but none get executed.  I'm new enough to
FreeBSD that I don't really know how it runs it's startup scripts.

Any help would be appreciated since I'd really like to get this going.

Thanks,

Dan

P.S.  I think I found a bug.  If I 'mount -t procfs proc $D/proc' two
times without unmounting and then 'ls $D/proc' my machine becomes
completely unresponsive.  I need to power cycle it to get it back.