Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:01:46 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

> install on a machine. The frequency of CD releases leaves me wondering.
> "well what was wrong in the last version they said was the next
> kewlest thing". Was it hyped to much? was it a lie? And what is wrong with

I've already explained in a previous email that releases are an
integral part of the process which improves FreeBSD.  If they didn't
happen on a reasonably frequent basis, FreeBSD would never reach its
quality targets for a given branch in anything approaching a
reasonable period of time.

> 	Come to find out, after installing my systems via ftp. I can't get
> a 3.0 CD anyplace. I called cdrom.com and they said they stoped carrying
> it as soon as 3.1 came out. This leaves people like me hanging out to dry
> and wondering why it is this way. And, I am either blind or correct in

Not at all - ftpsearch is your friend.  You can get 3.0-RELEASE from a
number of places on the net and whether or not we choose to distribute
it from ftp.freebsd.org (for space reasons) has little to do with the
mirror policy or being able to get it easily on the net.

- Jordan