Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:00:12 GMT
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/163710: setjump in userboot.so causes stack corruption

The following reply was made to PR amd64/163710; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:56:55 -0700

 On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com> wr=
 ote:
 > The following reply was made to PR amd64/163710; it has been noted by GNA=
 TS.
 [..]
 > =A0Does the last patch seem acceptable?
 >
 > =A0Can we close this issue out?

 Sadly not,

  +no-machine:
  + rm -f   ${.CURDIR}/../../ficl/machine

 .. this is definitely bogus no matter what. This attempts to modify
 the source tree which may be read only, and should never even have a
 "machine->..." symlink in it to remove in the first place.

 I see sys/boot/userboot/ficl/Makefile has commented out the code that
 sets up the ./machine links in its ${.OBJDIR} and there's -I paths all
 over the place so my guess is that it's picking up some of the i386
 machine links rather than setting up its own.  You probably need to
 look at the userboot/ficl/Makefile code and make sure its setting up
 the correct links rather than accidently using one belonging to
 something else.

 Or your source tree is contaminated somehow with a machine-> link
 somewhere that it isn't supposed to be.
 --=20
 Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
 "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
 themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell