Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:21:19 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/6812: New port: GNU plotutils

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 08:26:03PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> > >  Actually, USE_X11 was probably a misnomer; it only means "set PREFIX
> > >  to /usr/X11R6".  If the port compiles and runs fine without it, then
> > >  there is no need to define it, regardless whether it can be used for
> > >  non-X environments or not.
> >
> > Then shouldn't USE_X11 be removed from almost every port that uses it?
> > Perhaps I'm confused, but if a port *needs* a PREFIX of /usr/X11R6,
> > isn't it broken to begin with?
>
> No! As I understand, USE_X11 should only be used when the port requires
> certain X11 resources, for example when files go to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/$(NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE), or when files go to the X11
> help or icon directory.

Ah, so USE_X11 should be used iff a port requires a PREFIX of
X11BASE, or access to files under X11BASE, correct?

The Handbook and comments in bsd.port.mk badly need a clarification
of this issue, which I suppose means I have another entry in my
job queue.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.