Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:39:13 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        craig@progroup.com (Craig Shaver)
Cc:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser), scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2940 and ncr target problems re: HELP!! ST32155W - Not detected during probing!!

On Feb 11, craig@progroup.com (Craig Shaver) wrote:
> > This has been fixed in the NCR driver in -current and -stable
> > for some time, but the changes had not made it into 2.1.6.

> Will this be in 2.1.7R?  I was going to try to apply the Tekram patches

Sure. The 2.1.7 release will be based on -stable.

> to the 2.1.7R sources, and see if I can build a kernel with the tekram
> driver.

You may of course try the Tekram driver. I'd like
to know how well it works for you. (If you can run
some benchmarks, I'd love to see the results.)

There might be some minor problems with the Tekram
driver, which I'd have to check in the sources.

> On another note, will I be able to boot using the GENERIC kernel
> against the Tekram controller?  I am under the impression the base
> driver will recognize the controller as an 825.

No, the controller will be fully recognized, but
many of the new features of the 53c875 will not
be taken advantage of. (There is no support for
example, or no negotiation of Ultra-SCSI transfer
rates.)

I wanted to clean up some of the code before the
20MHz speed is enabled, but was held back by some
other (higher priority) tasks ...

But I got reports of the "generic" NCR driver
giving significantly better throughput anyway,
and I guess I know why this is the case :)

Regards, STefan