Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:04:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS over TCP

> > I don't think you can limit UDP usage in the portmapper. I'm afraid that
> > the first call to the portmapper will always be in UDP.
>
> This is correct.  As will the first mount request.

So what about the second mount request? ;)

portmapper on the remote machine claims everything is available via tcp.
nfsd started with the -t flag:

fooclient# rpcinfo -p fooserver
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    3   udp    931  mountd
    100005    3   tcp   1003  mountd
    100005    1   udp    931  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   1003  mountd

Call the mount:

fooclient# mount_nfs -T -3 -s fooserver:/usr/src /usr/src
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

Ditto on "showmount".  Tries udp and then gives up:

This goes on until max retries is reached and then fails.  IPFW shows
this:

Apr  1 11:12:32 fooclient /kernel: ipfw: 6099 Deny UDP 207.240.140.yyy:953
207.240.140.xxx:111 out via vx0

Showmount also tries udp once then exits:

fooclient# showmount -e (-3 or not) fooserver
RPC: Port mapper failure
showmount: can't do exports rpc

So should I call this "broken" and file a pr?  The manpages are silent on
the subject, and the referenced RFC dates back to 1989.  I've yet to find
the document titled "NFS: Network File System Version 3 Protocol
Specification, Appendix I".  This is -stable as of two days ago.

I was digging through cvsweb
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/mount_nfs/mount_nfs.c)
and I did find a commit from long long ago (vers. 1.9) that had this
comment:

"Fixed bug where UDP was required to mount a TCP NFS filesystem.
Submitted by:   Ken Hornstein, Sept.'94"

Is it possible someone unfixed it?

Shall I file a pr, or is there more information to gather?
It seems as if rpcinfo is the only thing that actually does tcp queries...

Thanks,

Charles