Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:28:55 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        nnd@itfs.nsk.su, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dates off by 1 year (was: Fools Day Joke ?)

In the last episode (Apr 01), John Polstra said:
> In article <ABypp0tCJO@itfs.nsk.su>, Nickolay Dudorov <nnd@itfs.nsk.su> wrote:
> >        There is some strangenes in date on file
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/cvs-cur/cvs-cur.5198.gz
> >
> > -r--r--r-  1 603  207          49741   apr  1  1998 cvs-cur.5198.gz
>
> I changed the subject because I think this may actually be a real bug
> somewhere.  I happened to notice 2 days ago that some of the files in
> etinc's download area had dates exactly one year too old in this same
> way.  I mentioned it to Dennis there, and he told me that the files
> had been created by a 2.2.7 machine onto a directory mounted via NFS
> from a 3.1 machine.  The dates are set correctly on both machines,
> but the problem is reproduceable there.
>
> I haven't been able to duplicate it myself, but I suspect that it's a
> real bug.  If anybody else is seeing similar problems, please speak
> up.

I've seen this too, on other FTP servers.  I doubt it's an NFS problem,
since there is no reason for NFS to add/subtract exactly one year from
the date.

FTP, on the other hand, doesn't have a standard way of passing a date
to the client (MDTM isn't always implemented).  I can imagine an FTP
client (especially NcFTP which parses the LIST command itself) getting
confused about a file that was created a couple hours in the "future" ,
due to the fact that FTP servers work in the local timezone, but FTP
client's cant easily determine the timezone of the server.

aha!  I just tested this, with stock 3.1 /usr/bin/ftp and with
NcFTP3.0b18.  I touched a file with a date four hours into the future,
connected to my FTP server, and tried to list it:

ftp> dir asdf
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
-rw-rw-r--  1 dan  1000  0 Apr  1 22:00 asdf
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>

ncftp /pub > dir asdf
-rw-rw-r--  1 dan  1000            0   Apr  1  1998   asdf
ncftp /pub >

So I'd say it's a bug in NcFTP's date parser.  I'm willing to bet that
Nickolay is also using NcFTP, since the 'group' column in his 'ls'
output is right-justified, just like my ncftp output sample :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com