Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 21:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>
Cc:        jan@bagend.atl.ga.us, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing a serial card...

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Timothy Moore wrote:

>    > Ok, to what do I set the IRQs and addresses on the card if I want its
>    > ports to be sio2 and sio3?
>
> 	   sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef
> 	   sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef
>
> 	   set the irq to the you configured on the card.  must not be used
>    by another device.
>
> That's what I did; I set the IRQs on the card to 10 & 11 and did the
> same in kernel config.  Are you guys recommending that I set the IRQ's
> on the card to 4 & 3, even though sio0 and sio1 are using that IRQ?

	no.  each device (sio0, sio1, sio2 and sio3 are all different devices of
the same type) must have its own irq.

	irq's 10 and 11 are 'popular'  check the /sbin/dmesg output for
'not probed' lines.  as a matter of fact, why not mail in your
/sbin/dmesg output and kernel config file.  that would make remote debug
much easier ;)

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346