Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 97 16:49:42 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   html files [Re: texinfo changes ready]

[taken fromn the -hackers list]

 > That's the complete set of changes to the texinfo installation.
 > Now comes the set of changes that replaces the old method of
 > installing the /usr/share/info/dir file.

 > 5. Modify share/mk/bsd.info.mk so that the building of info files
 >    uses install-info to add each file to the dir file.  No pre-built
 >    dir file is located anywhere in the source tree, only an empty
 >    template share/info/dir-tmpl which is copied to share/info/dir when
 >    building begins.

 > 6. Now info files in the source tree which are already annotated with
 >    the information required by install-info will install themselves
 >    correctly into share/info/dir the rest of the files (most of them)
 >    will require additional modifications to their respective Makefiles.

 > 7. For info files in package P not containing the annotations, the
 >    Makefile previously reading.

 > INFO=  foo bar

 > Is modified to read:

 > INFOSECTION= "P Documentation"
 > INFOENTRY_foo= "* foo: (foo).		Documentation for the `foo' command."
 > INFOENTRY_bar= "* bar: (bar).		Documentation for the `bar' command."

 > The Makefile is otherwise unmodified.  After building, the dir
 > file will contain:

 > P Documentation
 > * foo: (foo).			Documentaiton for the `foo' command.
 > * bar: (bar).			Documentation for the `bar' command.

 > The directory share/info is given an install rule to install the dir
 > file.

I think we could do something similar for the ports installing their
own html documentation. The html documentation is currently installed
in more or less random locations and is not always apparent.  What
about forcing the ports to install their html files in
/usr/local/share/html/PACKAGENAME/* and use a small utility to
maintain /usr/local/share/html/INDEX.html?

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr