Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:47:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul <pauld@mail.dotcom.fr>
To:        Almondale@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 Almondale@aol.com wrote:

>The whole main issue is that the "ping" command will probably *not* work
>under most forms of IP masquerading/aliasing (don't know about NAT). It's

It finally works under linux (also traceroute), even quake and other
games or communication program's over tcp/ip work with it...
How does NAT handle this kind of program's?

>sort of interesting just what commands do and don't work when you are working
>with "virtual private networks" as microsoft calls them. I think in short it
>would be neat if this (NAT or ppp -alias) code could be put on the ROM chip
>of a NIC!

There ARE routes which can do this kind of things. But why don't people
buy them? They have a small homenet and don't want to buy a huge router...
The costs... And when you want to setup a free firewall to it's that easy
under Linux and I think even FreeBSD (no experience with it, never ran
FreeBSD than from Floppies, but planning to ...)

--
Paul Dekkers (psd@worldaccess.nl or psd@dds.nl)
N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo

Computers are like air conditioner: