Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 03:40:07 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Subject:   Re: Geometry weirdness with sysinstall/libdisk

>> > Debug_Disk(sd2)  flags=0  bios_geom=13045/54/6 = 4226580
>>
>> Certainly no slices present yet.
>
>As you can see in disklabel output, it certainly _has_ slices, it used to
>be my boot drive !!!

disklabel(8) knows/shows nothing about slices (or BIOS geometries).

>> From the drive itself, i'd say.  Well, no, this drive has 8205
>> cylinders and 6 heads:
>
>It is a 32160 so it is 6703 cyl. x 5 heads so I still don't see where does
>the 13045 come from...

Someone set up a wrong BIOS geometry of 54 heads and 6 sectors (by setting
up the corresponding MBR in /dev/rsd2).  13045 is just
total_sectors / (54 * 6).

>What bother me a lot is why libdisk/sysinstall don't see the slices when
>disklabel can !

disklabel(8) knows/shows nothing about slices (or BIOS geometries).

>I can mount every slice on that drive without problem so
>the kernel has the right label but why disklabel is the only program to
>display it correctly ?

libdisk/sysinstall must be wrong.  The 54/6 geometry should work if there
are no booting problems.

Bruc