Date:      06 Oct 1997 17:05:38 +0100
From:      dave edmondson <dme@sco.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
: > A couple of people suggested _always_ reading mail on the laptop,
: > thereby skirting the problem of switching back and forth between
: > machines.  That's an intriguing idea, but I'm still hoping to avoid
: > the need for it.
:
: I don't understand this.  It is *the* obvious answer to the problem;
: all your mail is in one place, and it's always with you.  You don't
: have to worry at all about getting "at" your mail, or any of the agony
: you describe.

whilst i agree that keeping everything on the laptop is a fine way to
go (it's what i do), sometimes i'd rather it wasn't like that.  the
laptop in question (toshiba tecra) can't come close to even a
relatively cheap desktop machine in terms of:
	- processor power,
	- io performance,
	- display size and capability.
i can run emacs (as i use gnus) on the laptop with the display pointed
at my desktop system, but i still suffer some performance problems.
using the laptop as a display (which is what i normally do) means that
i'm limited to 1024x768, which is tight after 1280x1024 (even with a
small font on a 21" monitor 1024x768 still feels cramped, and 16bit
colour is hard to get working right).

all in all, i have to agree with mike that `on the laptop' is the way
to go (for me at least), but i'm not truly happy with it.  i've got
high hopes for gnus new `agent' mode, but it's not there yet.
--
---
Dave Edmondson, Architect, interNet Engineering, The Santa Cruz Operation.