Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 11:44:36 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting in single user mode

> >  Am I missing something obvious?
>
> I have somewhat of the reverse problem.  It always boot in MU mode.
>
> I do (from the SRM)

> And then from the loader:
>
> disk0> boot /boot/kernel.NICKEL
>
> and end up in single user as expected.
>
> However, if I do:

> disk0> boot /boot/kernel.NICKEL -s
>
> and end up in MU.

There was a bug in the option parsing for loaded kernels that was fixed
on the i386; I expect that it still exists on the alpha.  I am still
struggling to get an Alpha test box up and going (more a case of lack
of time than any other problem).

> Oh, on the subject of booting:
>
> It also appears as if when there is a /kernel.GENERIC, and a
> /boot/kernel.GENERIC, what actually boots is /kernel.  Sounds strange...

Kernels are never searched for in /boot; the default kernel search path
is /kernel, /kernel.old.