Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:14:46 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Ertan Kucukoglu <ertank@ozlerplastik.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crontab entries

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 01:41:32PM +0200, Ertan Kucukoglu wrote:
[snip]

> The problem is before the 440.status-mailq. Here is the output of
> periodic-daily:
> -----
>   0 00:01:00
>   0 00:00:59
>   0 00:00:58
> [snipped]
>   0 00:00:03
>   0 00:00:02
>   0 00:00:01
>   0 00:00:00
> fetchmail: can't accept options while a background fetchmail is running.
> Subject: www.ozler.com daily run output
>
> Removing stale files from /var/preserve:
>
> Cleaning out old system announcements:
>
> Removing stale files from /var/rwho:
> [snipped]
> -----
>
> I see here that periodic daily runs my /etc/rc.conf. I have delay
> command in my rc.conf just after 'ppp -ddial -alias isp' command. The
> seconds going down comes from delay command.

You should _not_ put commands in rc.conf. There is no guarantee that
it is executed only once during startup or at other times. Put
command scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ or commands in /etc/rc.local.

> That file is run *before* 120.clean-preserve. "Removing stale files from
> /var/preserve:" message is included in that file. So there is two files:
> 100.clean-disks
> 110.clean-tmps
>
> I didn't see anything in that files and anyfile in /etc/periodic/daily/
> that includes rc.conf or something related. (If anybody wants to look at
> them I can mail these (or all) periodic daily files) My
> /etc/periodic/daily files are original ones. I didn't change them.

The periodic(8) command itself grabs /etc/rc.conf.

  % more `which periodic`
  [snip]

  # If possible, check the global system configuration file,
  # to see if there are additional dirs to check
  if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]; then
      . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
  elif [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]; then
      . /etc/rc.conf
  fi

  [snip]

> Also I remember that 'periodic does not run non executable files',
> /etc/rc.conf is not executable ("-rw-r--r--").

It does not run scripts that are not.

> I also wish to know which directories are given as parameter to periodic
> command in crontab?

Use the source, Luke. periodic(8) is just a shell script.