Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:36:59 +0200
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        kaltorak@quake.com.au, OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD through diskettes?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:10:40 -0600 (MDT)
Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com> wrote:

DR> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
DR>
DR> > Joćo Fernandes wrote:
DR> > >
DR> > > Is there any available distribution of FBSD in diskettes? I was wondering how could I install it in a portable PC without
DR> > > CDrom :-/
DR> >
DR> > Considering how many disks that would take, I think it would probably
DR> > be cheaper to buy a CD-Rom! :P

	If you have another machine to hold the distribution on then it takes four
floppies, the two boot floppies and two working floppies. When sysinstall starts asking
for floppies you just make them one at a time on the other box with one floppy being
written while the other is read. This is faster (but more work) than using PLIP. It's
been a while but IIRC the files that are not tarballs go on the first floppy made for
a set.

DR> Probably the best option in this case is installing via parallel port from
DR> another box.  It'll be much faster than floppies, and only requires a
DR> cable, rather than a CD-ROM drive.  :)

	Parallel, or PCMCIA ethernet are both much easier.

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

	 	        http://www.best.com/~sohara