Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:01:56 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Jerry Bell" <jerry@stelesys.com>, "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sniffer

tedm@toybox.placo.com said:
> Unfortunately, those later versions tend to require much more ram and
> flash than most Cisco routers shipped with - and in fact are shipping
> with currently.  You would be amazed but brand new Cisco routers that
> you buy off the shelf still do not have enough ram and flash in them
> to run the latest IOS.  Cisco discovered code bloat and the results
> are not pretty.

Not to mention that Cisco's SSH implementation is Version 1 SSH, and
it only supports the encryption already present in the IOS, so if
you haven't paid for an encrypting IOS you can't do anything constructive.
And, of course, if you only have the (single) DES encrypting IOS, you'll
have trouble finding a client (other than another Cisco router) that
will talk to it, since most other SSH packages consider DES to be
insecure.

But, if after Ted's and my comments you still want to go that path,
SSH was introduced in IOS version 12.1T.

Tony

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319