Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:03:14 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-newbies @ FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

# lute@cableone.net / 2002-12-10 12:03:59 -0600:
> So far I have only done one upgrade, that was from 4.6 to 4.7 and that
> was just the binary upgrade, download the two floppies, boot, yada
> yada.  Next go round would like to try a source upgrade, but it sounds
> kind of scary, though I do install all my software via the ports.
> (Mozilla takes a looong time to build) So maybe it won't be that bad,
> but just a little unsure about how you go about getting all the source
> needed.

    funny, I've never done a single binary update. :)

    anyway, cvsup setup is quite easy, and the reward is sweeeet:

    # cd /usr/src
    # make update
    # make buildworld buildkernel installkernell installworld
    # mergemaster -si
    # shutdown -r now

    (singleuser / reboot in documented places recommended for the faint
    of heart :)

    I don't know how hard/easy binary update is, but I guess it can't
    get much easier than this. (there've been complaints about
    mergemaster being too hard to grok, which I don't understand)