Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:00:48 -0700
From:      Ian Downes <ian@ndwns.net>
To:        joris dedieu <joris.dedieu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umounting md backed jail filesystems - busy

Joris,

thanks for the suggestions but they don't appear to indicate anything unusual.

> > I'm trying to cleanup after shutting down some jails but I'm getting device
> > busy errors when trying to umount some of the filesystems.
> >
> > More specifically, I've got an ephemeral zfs filesystem that serves as the root
> > of the jail. On '/etc/rc.d/jail stop' the jail stops cleanly but when I try to
> > destroy the zfs filesystem the initial umount fails, claiming it's busy. This
> > happens everytime.
> >
> > I can't for the life of me work out who's tying it up. I've tried fstat, lsof
> > and fuser but nothing is reported as active! No processes, no active files.
>
> What gives top -S -n 10000  |grep -i zfs  while system is not
> unmountable (could you see some processes in zfs state) ?
> What gives jls during this time (does it report anythink still alive) ?

$  jls
JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path

$ top -S -n 10000  |grep -i zfs
5 root         6  -8    -     0K    88K tx->tx  2   0:01  0.00% zfskern

It's entirely possible that this isn't due to a process related to the jail but
it is zfs tying things up for a while. I'd like to understand what's going on though
as I'd rather not just hack something together to schedule purges at some later
time.