Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 21:10:34 +1100 (EST)
From:      Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@freebsd.org, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Cc:        support@xinside.com
Subject:   SOLVED: 2.2-RELEASE, dtmail stopped working

Hi,

A week ago I reported a problem with Xinside's dtmail client not
starting under 2.2-RELEASE.  The same program had worked under
2.1.[567] and 2.2-GAMMA.  The error message was

	"Mailer has not been properly installed and cannot be run
	because the execution group is incorrectly set"

dtmail is sgid bin and the mail spool permissions are set to 775.

After some hints from Joerg I managed to trace the execution on
both a 2.2 and 2.1.7 kernel (this required the removal of a check
which dissallows ktrace in an suid/sgid process).

Upon examination I saw that the failure point in 2.2 was in a failing
call to the setgid call.  The call failed with a permission error in
2.2 but not in 2.1.7.

Further digging showed that /sys/sys/unistd.h has changed in 2.2 and
says:

#ifdef	_NOT_AVAILABLE
#define	_POSIX_SAVED_IDS	/* saved set-user-ID and set-group-ID */
#endif

The code in /sys/kern/kern_prot.c checks for _POSIX_SAVED_IDS before
including the code to allow setgid. I could not find a #def _NOT_AVAILABLE
in the include files.

A recompile of a new kernel with the unistd.h file from 2.2-GAMMA has
solved my problems.

I have submitted a PR on this.

Regards/Mark