Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:57:30 +0100
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install troubles right at the beginning

At 04:00 PM 8/24/01 -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>I suspect there may be some problem with the disklabel on the drive
>you're attempting to install onto.  Hmm.. Are these disks with msdos
>style fdisk partition tables?  Did linux boot from arc(or milo) or the
>SRM when it was booting from this disk?

This is what we ended up thinking was going on, as well. After trying
FreeBSD 4.2 a dozen times, I tried installing RedHat 7.1, just to see what
would happen. Same basic problem -- gets through the setup stuff, when it
starts writing to disk, it reports an error saying the disk might be full.
This is after checking that there was a BSD disklabel (there was).

So, I then tried to re-install SuSE 7.0 (which was running on it before).
It installed perfectly. I *think* that SuSE 7.0 was the first OS ever
installed on the drive.

>Try blowing away the partition table on the disk you're going to
>install FreeBSD on by dd'ing /dev/zero over the first meg or so of it
>before you attempt to install.

I'll give this a shot next week and tell you what happens! I would like to
run FreeBSD on this baby. Thanks for the advice.

--
"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there
is in London all that life can afford." -- Samuel Johnson