Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 23:47:55 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

Em 20-08-2012 23:24, Doug Barton escreveu:
> 1. On http://people.freebsd.org/~gabor/xmlweb/data/ the vertical
> separators on the location bar extend down below the grey
> background. Not sure if this is a byproduct of my default font
> setting being larger than normal or not.

I think so because I tried in two different browsers (Firefox and
Opera) and it seems normal to me. But if I click on the Large text
option, it renders badly. But interestingly, if I only keep pressing
Ctrl-+ it never goes wrong. I think that nowadays it is possible in
any modern browser to adjust text size, so maybe we should rely on
that feature and remove the text size setting and the associated
JavaScript code. This is something I thought of earlier but haven't
yet raised it on the lists. I'll raise it up when going for the next
step of refactoring.

> 2. Comparing
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gabor/xmlweb/data/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html

vs.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html

it seems that many elements are missing. The backgrounds for the code
> and notes, and the colored text for literals are what stand out
> most to me.
>
> 3. On
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gabor/xmlweb/data/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/security-notify.html

vs.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/security-notify.html
> I see those same problems. I also noticed that the red square for
> the Important: section is gone, and that the text following the
> callouts starts on a new line, instead of following the callout
> image directly.

These both come from the fact that class names are now all in lower
case. I don't know the exact reason since I only converted them to
lower case in htdocs/ since these are generated with DSSSL. What I
suspect is that whether they are generated upper or lower case has to
do with tidy. It did such things like converting elements to upper
case or messing up character sets, that's why I disabled it in the
Hungarian translation from the beginning and now for the whole web. It
is also planned to disable it entirely for all docs but the output
that Jade generates isn't that fancy. I'll track this down.

> I hope that this feedback is useful.

Of course, it was very useful! I noticed that everything was readable
but I didn't remember to visually compare the results. Thanks for the
review!

Gabor