Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:34:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jhs@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: modem area code trick

Julian H. Stacey writes:

> This is not FreeBSD specific but those round the world living near but not
> in large towns & using modems may appreciate it ...
>
> A friend (Stuart A. (cc'd)) is in the dial code area for his nearby city,
> but geographically is in a fairly distant outlying village (so distant,
> that the other half of the village are not in the city dial code area).
>
> He found his modem performed much better if he prepended the long distance
> trunk code for the city, thus dialing 089.123456 instead of just 123456.
> We presume he's getting better long distance trunk circuits, rather than
> cheaper local copper, whatever ... it works for him !

You should be careful about generalizing this sort of thing.  In
particular, with modern equipment this would not make any difference,
and it's *very* dependent on the local connections.  I could believe
it about the outlying areas of Munich, though.

> We also assume he's still paying at local call rates.

Yes, I think that's OK.  Just out of interest, does his modem line
have the charge unit pulse (Gebührenimpuls) enabled?  It's conceivable
that the long-distance equipment emits a cleaner pulse.  In any case,
with the money Telekom are charging him, he ought to get them to come
and investigate.

Greg