Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:38:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on AS100A

On Tue, February 15, 2005 7:08 am, Bernd Walter said:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 09:53:23AM -0700, Tom Ponsford wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I picked up a AS 1000A a few weeks ago. It has an EV5 300mhz cpu, 64MB
>> mem,
>> and 3 disks attached to a KZPSC raid controller ( a DAC960), , which is
>> supported by freebsd.
>>
>> When I first attempted to install freebsd in place of windows NT which
>> was
>> on it, I upgraded the SRM firmware to the latest available, but got
>> error
>> messages on bootup telling me to upgrade the firmware on the KZPSC from
>> it
>> v 2.36. The install program continued to the setup menu but could not
>> find
>> any disks attached to the raid controller.
>>
>> I upgraded to v2.70 on the raid controller and the dmesg readout did not
>> show any error messages, BUT the machine get a kernel panic after
>> mounting
>> the mfsroot complaining about a memory management fault.
>
> Strange this is the fdc0 process.
> Maybe you are getting out of physical RAM and the fdc driver fails to
> handle this properly - 64M is not very much for such a machine.

Since the fault address is 0x0 it's a NULL pointer dereference of some
sort.  A
stack trace would be very useful if you can get one Tom.  As a workaround,
you
can try unsetting the hints related to fd0 (i.e. variables in the loader
that start
with 'hint.fd.0') and see if that fixes the issue for now.  If it does,
then get the
machine installed, build a kernel with debug symbols and KDB and DDB and we
can look at fixing the actual panic.

--
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>