Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2006 00:43:50 -0500
From:      "Scott Lipcon" <slipcon@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI blacklist - important?

Hi,

I've got a question, and I have to admit I really don't know much about
ACPI, but I'd appreciate any advice.

My email server was an Athlon XP running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and the
motherboard died.  I put the disks in an old machine, which is an ASUS P2D-=
board, dual 350Mhz PII.  It panic'ed on boot, saying the ACPI implementatio=
was on the blacklist.  I was able to figure out how to disable the blacklis=
check ("set hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D0") and it booted up and seems to be
running OK.

My question is - what is the side-effect of having this blacklisted ACPI
implementation running?   My kernel is a single CPU kernel (since my Athlon
was only single CPU) so if the lack of SMP has any effect I'd like to know.
Specifically, is this setup likely to be stable?   I'm certainly planning o=
replacing the Athlon motherboard with a new board/CPU, but I'm going out of
town this week and probably wont have time to get replacement parts before =
leave, and I'd really like to have some confidence that my email server wil=
stay up while I'm gone.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Scott