Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:00:30 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI -> PCMCIA Adapter woes.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 20:09 +0100, Andrew Back wrote:

> I recently purchased an Orinoco Silver Card along with a PCI -> PCMCIA
> adapter, an Elan P111 (TI Bridge?). [ ... ]

[ ... kind of "hijacking" the thread ... ]

What lately bothered me:  Is the PCI->PCMCIA bridge general enough
a functionality that one can for instance put WLAN cards of one
brand into PCI adapters of another brand?  Do these adapters offer
"a real PCMCIA slot" or do they implement some PCMCIA functionality
already which reduces the variety of PCMCIA cards acceptable to
plug into?

I'm somewhat puzzled by some vendors' claims that their PCI adaptors
("mere" adapters without the actual WLAN card which is to be plugged
in additionally) have some parameters like a bandwidth of 11Mbit/s,
a working range(term?) of some 50 meters, etc.  Aren't these parameters
associated with the actual WLAN functionality which comes in form of
additional PCMCIA cards and which I would not expect to live in a PCI
adaptor?  Is this just marketing blurb / a brain fart (assuming that
the customer will combine the adapter with a certain PCMCIA card of
the same vendor)?

And is there some software support needed which is not yet there in
FreeBSD or can wi(4) and friends already cope with the system when
they find a say Netgear PCI bridge with a D-Link WLAN card in it?

Feel free to call me stupid, but please tell me why in case I am. :)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net