Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:29:17 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Moreau, Edward W" <edward.w.moreau@intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Earn Cash

> I've gotten 5 mailings already this morning and I won't stand for it.
>
> I'm removing myself from the list for a few weeks until you can clean it up.
>
> These comments do not reflect the opinions of my employer or anybody else.

	Sorry to see you go. Luckily the 5 pieces of spam mail we've had
are the exception, not the rule. In fact... I think those would be the
first ones I've seen on this list.
	Now, someone else asked why the list isn't filtered better. The
problem is that most the FreeBSD lists are help lists. They're meant to
give people who have a one time question the place to ask it without
having to subscribe and get 1000 extra non-related messages.

> Let's hope we don't have to live with it!  Are the FreeBSD lists
> filtered so only subscribers can post to them?  That has all but
> eliminated spam in the mailing lists I run.
>
> Also, does the mail server that processes subscriptions check
> addresses against any of the anti-spam services?

	No... for the reason above. They're pretty much open lists.

						Rick