Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:45:59 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
To:        John <jwd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge R820 Broadcom BCM57800 support

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 09:56 -0700, John wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
>    I have an R820 I'm testing. The system seems to boot up fine, but
> no network adapters show up. From pciconf -l :
>
> none4@pci0:1:0:0:       class=0x020000 card=0x1f5c1028 chip=0x168a14e4 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
> none5@pci0:1:0:1:       class=0x020000 card=0x1f5c1028 chip=0x168a14e4 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
> none6@pci0:1:0:2:       class=0x020000 card=0x1f671028 chip=0x168a14e4 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
> none7@pci0:1:0:3:       class=0x020000 card=0x1f671028 chip=0x168a14e4 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
>
> which appears to be these:
>
> Broadcom BCM57800 NetXtreme II 10 GigE   1f5c
> Broadcom BCM57800 NetXtreme II 1 GigE    1f67
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these?
>
> Thanks,
> John

John:

Hey, I'm currently testing a patchset that enables the use of the 1Gig
adapter via bge(4).  I'm not sure about the 10Gig adapter though, is
that bxe(4)

At this time, there no functional version of bge(4) that works on a
stable release.  You'd have the best luck in compiling your own kernel
from stable/9 and applying the following updates from

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/bge/if_bge.c
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/bge/if_bgereg.h
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/bge/brgphy.c

You'll need to overwrie brgphy.c in sys/dev/mii and move if_bge.c
if_bgereg.h to sys/dev/bge and recompile your kernel.

Sean