Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:53:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

Andresen,Jason R. <jandrese@mitre.org> types:
> "David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
> > > Also remember that a great deal of spam (at least most of the stuff that
> > > comes to me) has my name as a greeting in the body, or in the subject
> > > line. It would be trivial to automate the process of adding
> > > [freebsd-stable] to the front of the subject line when the message is
> > > sent to freebsd-stable@freebsd.org. This would have us all working extra
> > > for no reason.
> > I find that the most effective way to deal with spam is look at the headers
> > and mail abuse@ every server in the list.  I find that most isps take care
> > of it(or atleast say they do)  I think someone mentioned this.  Once people
> > started to get their accounts deleted a few times, they might stop it

Yup. abuse.net provides a useful service for this, as it makes it more
likely that the mail will get to whoever you want it to go to. You do
have to subscribe to the service, but that's free.

> One thing I've found that is fairly effective is to "bounce" spams
> back as undeliverable.  A lot of times the spammers just ignore
> the bounce (they get 1000s of them no doubt) but there is a chance
> that they will take your apparently dead address off of the list.
>
> The big danger is compltely broken spam agents that consider ANY
> response a good response.

No, the big danger is that the bounce is going to hit some poor person
who has nothing to do with the spam in question, other than owning the
domain name that was forged onto it. Check out the <URL:
http://www.nowhere.com/ > to see how bad that can get.

	<mike