Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:46:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named initial lookup?

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 01:31:36PM -0700, Paulo Roberto wrote:

> I think it is not sendmail because I have previously disabled it. I
> got a server running Slackware Linux (same version of bind) with
> sendmail installed and also have a link on demand and I do not have
> this problem. It is becoming hard to trace it, and I guess it might
> be an option of named itself that is looking to resolve that
> "sticky" route.

Oh well, worth a try.  You can stop the dialup happening by adding
some packet filtering rules in your ppp config --- this should prevent
dialing triggered by DNS lookups:

    set filter dial 0 deny udp dst eq 53

See the ppp(8) man page section `PACKET FILTERING' and
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample

> Just one other question, since I am new at FreeBSD, I installed the
> squid cache (and also qmail), and I see there is a squid.sh script that
> is ran by rc.d at boot, but it does not really initiate squid nor
> qmail. I made an rc.local file that started those services. WHere do I
> enable them? Do I have to put some kind of squid_enable="YES" in
> rc.conf? Same thing goes for qmail?
> The qmail/squid.sh have a option start/stop, but where do I start them
> in the boot scripts?

If there's an executable startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d called
something.sh then the `something' service will be automatically
started on system boot.  No further action required.  For completeness
sake, check out the use of the 'local_startup' setting in rc.conf ---
I doubt you'll need to change from the default though.

Many ports will install `something.sh-dist' which you are expected to
copy to `something.sh' and customise for your own purposes.  You'll
also have to put together appropriate configuration files for your
servers.  This is probably the hardest part of making it all work ---
for qmail you can use `make enable-qmail' in the port directory to set
a lot of things up.

See the mailwrapper(8) and mailer.conf(5) man pages for how to
configure an alternate MTA as a drop in replacement for sendmail.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK