Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:50:30 -0400
From:      Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Joseph Gleason <clash@tasam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: remote root vulnerability

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:10:38PM -0400, Joseph Gleason wrote:
> Anyone know if this is real?  I received it from a source I don't have any
> strong reason to trust.

(advisory text trimmed)

It looks like it.  The recv_ayt() function in telnetd.c does appear to behave
in the manner described in the advisory.  Nine bytes are strcpy()'d into
nfrontp and then nfrontp itself is incremented by nine.  I don't see any
check to make sure that nfrontp isn't incremented past the end of the buffer
that has been allocated for it.

Quickly glancing through the code, I find several instances of something being
copied into the buffer and then increment the pointer by the number of bytes
copied.  This seems to be an idiom in this code.  I don't consider myself to
be a pointer manipulation wizard (especially at 0347 local time), but I don't
see any safety checks on the nfrontp manipulations anywhere in the code.

I examined src/libexec/telnetd/telnetd.c version 1.22.2.5 from FreeBSD-4.3.
I didn't see anything in the commitlogs which make me think that CURRENT is
any different.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville