Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:47:11 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffs and softupdates

Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey) <brentb@loa.com> types:
> Im running 4.3 release of FBSD....everything is running great . But with as
> long as the box is running without reboots ....im wondering about the
> advantages or diadvantages of running FFS with softupdates...Im currently
> running UFS. and is it possible to upfrade to FFS with softupdates ..from
> UFS without destroying the current file system.
> any help with tis is greatly appreciated.

Softupdates gives you performance at close to async mount speeds with
only slightly less reliability than the normal mode. I've been using
it for years with no problems. If you have IDE drives and haven't
disabled write caching, the the reliability issues are generally
immaterial.

I seriously doubt that you are running ufs, as there isn't a ufs mount
utility in FreeBSD. The mount_ufs mounts ffs file systems, and the
name confusion has been around as long as FreeBSD, or close to that.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.