Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 18:27:15 -0500
From:      Don Read <sysop@calcasieu.com>
To:        "Milliken, Scott" <MillikS@sti.imshealth.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMB Printing

back on 04:26 PM 4/7/99 -0400, you said:
>Hi,
>	I'm trying to figure out just how to put an entry in /etc/printcap
>so that I can print to a Samba shared printer.  I have the input filter set
>up and have had the printer working when hooked up locally, but I have a
>need to print to some other printers that are attached to NT print queues
>and do not have lpd running locally on the NT servers.  Adding lpd is not an
>option as we have territorial admins here that won't give access to admins
>from other groups to do things like that.
>	It would seem that the logical way to approach this would be to have
>the spooler print to a file, then pass that file name on to a script that
>could call smbclient to attach to the printer, then execute a "print
>filename" command.  However, I'm not quite sure how to implement that.  If
>there is an FAQ that covers this, I'd certainly like to know where.  I've
>checked the FreeBSD handbook and the www.freebsd.org web pages to no avail.

Here's how I work it with W95 & W4W 3.1 "shared" printers

shempdm|Debbie's Dot Matrix:\
        :lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/shemp:\
        :if=/usr/share/samba/shemp_dm:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:

and the script shemp_dm
-----
#!/bin/sh
#
# edit this to show where your smbclient is
smbcmd="/usr/local/bin/smbclient"
server=""
username="samba"
hostname=`hostname`
file="/var/tmp/$$"
#
# get the box & share name from the name of this script. <server>_<ptr>
#
sname=`basename "$0"`
server=`echo "$sname" |cut -d_ -f1`
ptr=`echo "$sname" |cut -d_ -f2`

cat - > $file
printf "\f" >> $file

echo print $file | $smbcmd "\\\\$server\\$ptr" -N -P -U $username
rm $file
-----

Regards,
--