Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 16:11:03 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        "Marc E. Fiuczynski" <mef@cs.washington.edu>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unusual question

>We are now interested to run SPIN on multiprocs using our FreeBSD 2.1.6
>driver base.  I'm curious which device drivers are affected by the SMP
>code.

So far we have not modified any device-drivers for SMP operation.

This is only possible because we are still running in the OBULATEK mode
("One Big Ugly Lock Around The Entire Kernel").

>From prior experience, I would think that device drivers will be fitted
with a LOCK each, so that they stay unchanged, until such time as
somebody fits them with fine-grain locking.

Generally, you can allow device-drivers to be multi-threaded only as
far as you have separate pieces of hardware.  Ie, in you average
FreeBSD system you could have one thread/cpu per sio port, but only
one for wdc0+wd0+wd1 because they share registers.

I would expect the "one-lock per device-driver" to be implemented
in the code that calls into the device drivers, simply to avoid
changing all of them, so most device-drivers will probably not
change much if at all.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.