Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:18:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ferdinand Goldmann <ferdl@atommuell.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   hints on mbuf calculation needed

Greetings.

I have three questions about the value of NMBCLUSTERS:

- Is there any way to tell in advance how high I need to set this value to
  have enough? I.e., I have a machine which does forwarding to a proxy and
  firewalling/traffic shaping for about 6-700 clients, no local users -
  how high should the value of NMBCLUSTERS be?
  Current usage is:
  $ netstat -m
  748/1360/16384 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
          163 mbufs allocated to data
	  585 mbufs allocated to packet headers
  163/582/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
  1504 Kbytes allocated to network (12% of mb_map in use)
  0 requests for memory denied
  0 requests for memory delayed
  0 calls to protocol drain routines

  This short after a reboot, the value of mbuf clusters rises to ~2000 after
  some time.

- Memory consumption: How much memory does one mbuf eat up? I'd like to
  have a formula to answer the question "I have 32MB RAM, how many NMBCLUSTERS
  can I compile into my kernel until that RAM will be eaten up?"

- What's the difference between 'mbuf' and 'mbuf clusters' *blush*?

Regards,
Ferdinand Goldmann