Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:27:39 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Robert Hough <rch@acidpit.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using gcc

At 10:26 AM 10/27/2001, Robert Hough wrote:

>Stupid question here, but if I were to write something, and compile it
>using gcc, would it then be subject to the GPL? Does this just apply to
>using code that is under the GPL?

Richard Stallman would doubtless like to impose such a restriction,
and in fact may try to do so in the future. (This is a true threat to
truly free software projects such as the BSDs, all of which have very
unwisely made themselves hopelessly and dangerously dependent upon
GPLed tools.) However, no such restriction CURRENTLY exists.

--Brett Glass